Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Worth an Argument

Typically, the Schulz kids get along pretty well. On occasion, they come across an issue that is considered argument-worthy. These issues range from understandable, to trivial, to completely absurd.

Following is an example of absurdity:
About a month ago, we were going to go to the zoo. The kids were getting into the car and I was bringing our lunches from the house to the car. When I opened the car door I heard high-pitched shouts and cries of tattling. Whenever someone is tattling, they draw out the word Mommy- like Maaaahmmeeee-
G-"Mommy, Lilah wants to use one of my motorcycles and make a voice for it, but it's a motorcycle and motorcycles can't talk!"
L-"But he won't let me be one of his motorcycles, and he has two. I can make a voice if I want!"
G-"But, it's a motorcycle, and motorcycles don't talk!"

This went on, despite my attempts at mediation- "Gavin, can't she just be one of your motorcycles? Lilah, can't you just think of something else to play with?", until, finally, I actually pulled the car over and said something like, "You two need to solve this (I wanted to add in ridiculus here, but didn't) problem in 10 seconds, or I might be tempted to take the motorcycles and throw them out the window." I can't remember what happened next, but we still have the motorcycles.

Last night, I asked Emma to get me a kleenex. I thought she didn't hear me, so I asked Lilah- o.k. I'm a little lazy, but I'm sick and I was in the middle of doing something. So, Lilah brings me a kleenex and Emma comes running around the corner beginning to cry- "You asked me to bring you a kleenex first!" My response to this- "I'm sure I'll have the need for both of the kleenexes- thank you." Trying to outdo Lilah in her act of cooperation, Emma brought me the enitre box of kleenexes. It's funny how compliant the kids can be when they see helpfulness as a competition.

I think I'll regularly post some of the interesting argument-worthy topics of our household.- Anybody have a better title?- maybe I should just call it Crazy People

No comments: