Sunday, September 9, 2007

Kindergartners Extraordinaire

Wasn't it just yesterday that these two were tiny little babies?







Emma and Gavin started Kindergarten on Thursday, September 6. The twins are really amazing kiddos. They are so confident in every situation, no fear at all. They rode the bus without any reservations. I even had to call Emma back to give me a hug and kiss goodbye. I followed the bus to school and watched them walk to their class and start their routine. They did everything like pros. Lilah was a great big sister, and proudly showed them the ropes of walking through the hall.


I'm interested in what my kids are learning in school and about what they experience during their day, so I ask questions. In the past, my conversations with Lilah about school went something like this-

How was school?

Fine.

What did you do?

I don't remember.

Can you think of one thing you did during the last 6 hours?

I had lunch.

In an effort to elicit more information, we're going to have "tea time" after school each day to talk about some of the things that they do at school. In our first little pow wow, they all said they really like school and they all like their teachers. Gavin had the most to report. He told me that his tower got knocked over and that 2 kids had a time-out. From his perspective, he didn't get to play enough. He also told me that he broke his leg. I'm happy to report that he didn't actually break his leg.

After tea time, I helped Gavin and Emma with their "homework." I interviewed them about their day. They were supposed to tell me about their first day of school by filling in the blanks of a questionnaire. One of the sentences to complete was- I played with _______. When I asked Gavin this, I said, "I played with blank," and expected that he would tell me the name of a friend. Instead he said, "Who's blank?"

No comments: