Monday, September 10, 2007

Persistence

Gavin has been a snugglebug since he was born. He wanted to be held and snuggled all the time as a baby. He slept best snuggled up next to someone. To this day, he'd prefer to sleep in our bed, disrupting our sleep, crammed up tightly next to one of us. Don't get me wrong, I do love to cuddle with the boy, I just can't take a night of sleep, or lack there of, getting kicked in the head and squashed until I'm barely holding on at the edge of the bed. Last week Gavin tried to convince me of letting him sleep in my bed.

Can I sleep in your bed?
No.
Why not?
Because you move around too much, and it's just too crowded with 3 people in the bed.
I promise I'll be very still.
No, honey. You need to sleep in your own bed.
Pleaeaeaeaease....
No.
Please. I promise you can sleep by yourself tomorrow night.
No, honey.
I promise I'll give you some of my candy.
No.
I promise, tomorrow you can sleep by yourself, and I'll give you some of my candy.
No, but I'll lay with you in your bed for a few minutes.
O.k. (with a frown)

Last night, after getting everyone tucked in their beds, I went to bed and started to read. After a few minutes, I heard Mike through the intercom telling Lilah to go back to bed- she gets out of bed a lot to tell us she can't get to sleep- A few minutes later, I saw a little head pop around the corner, and heard Gavin's little low voice say-

Mommy, can I sleep with you? (as he's climbing up into my bed before hearing my answer)

How did you sneak by Daddy? Speaking of Daddy, you'll have to go downstairs when he comes up.

Why?

Because it's too crowded.

(ignoring my response) Promise you'll let me sleep with you all night.

Gavin, please just lay down and go to sleep. I think Daddy might be upset when he comes upstairs and sees you in our bed. He's already talked to Lilah about staying in bed.

Will he yell at me.

No.

Will he yell at you?

I don't think so, but please go to sleep.

O.k.

No comments: