Monday, December 3, 2007

On a more serious note...


A few weeks ago, Duncan's health was deteriorating, and we didn't know how much longer he'd be with us. Mike and I decided that we should tell the kids about his condition. I was apprehensive about this decision. I didn't want to scare the kids, and, I just didn't want to make them sad. They've never had to deal with anything like this before, so I didn't really know how they'd react. For Lilah, she mostly just became quiet and wanted to change the subject. For Emma, it was kind of like laughing at a funeral. She didn't really know what to do, except to try to be funny and make people laugh. For Gavin, it was much more difficult than I had anticipated. He was so sad, telling us to "I don't want him to die. Just take him to the doctor, the doctor can make him get better!" and "If we ever get another dog, promise it's going to look just like Duncan, act just like Duncan, and it has to be named Duncan!" (all of this said through tears he kept trying to wipe away) It was completely heartwrenching. It's hard enough for us to deal with the idea of life without D-money, let alone having to try to explain his mortality to our kids. Luckily, Duncan's health took a turn for the better. Even so, he still has difficulty breathing when he gets excited, especially when food is around.

Tonight, after watching Duncan hack a bit, Gavin came up to me, nearly in tears, saying "Do you think Duncan is going to live until Christmas. I hope he does. I think he will. Yes, he's going to." (cheered himself up with his positive talk)


All this being said, I'm really glad we gave the kids some warning. I think we've all (myself included) had some time digest the information and appreciate the time we have with our sweet D-man.

No comments: