Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sibling Competition

Emma is very coordinated. She can run circles around Gavin. That's not to say he's not coordinated. To the contrary. He rides his bike like a pro, and can skateboard pretty well. It's just that Emma is a really fast runner.

Last night, around 9:15 (the time is an important factor when understanding Gavin's ability, or lack there of, to think rationally), the kids and neighbor kids were running races along the sidewalk. Emma kept winning every race. It was almost painful to watch Gavin. His little face was so determined, and he put forth all his might, to no avail. He was starting to get upset (understatement), so I mouthed the words "LET HIM WIN" to Emma. She looked at me like I was a crazy woman. "What?" she said, thinking she didn't understand me correctly, for, why in the world would she do something so absurd as to throw a race? So she came up to me and asked what I said. "Let him win, just once," I answered. "Why? That wouldn't be fair. And, plus, you always tell us to do our best," was her response. (She had a point, and yes, I'm babying Gavin too much, but, his incessant crying was really getting to me, and I knew it would stop if he just won a race. Once in a while, life doesn't have to teach us a lesson, we just need things to go our way) "He's very tired and upset, and it would make him feel good to win, just once." She didn't answer and just went off to race. She ran along right beside her brother in a haphazard, doo-dee-doo kind of lollygag, so everyone (except for Gavin, who, of course was giving it his all) could see how she wasn't really trying, all the while, glancing in my direction to make sure I was watching. It turned out to be a tie at the finish. She looked at me and smiled. This was her best attempt at letting someone else win. Gavin was satisfied with the result.

No comments: