Friday, March 21, 2008

She went to school like this...

Some battles are worth fighting, but not worth what it takes to win.

Emma has 3 ponytails- two on the side and one in the back. She's sporting at least 3 barrettes in there, too.




Last week, Emma was trying her hand at hairstyling... on herself. I encouraged her to let me help, telling her that sometimes it's hard to get your own hair to look the way you want it to look. She said she got it right. I even told her that sometimes kids aren't so nice, and that they might tease her at school about how her hair is sticking up in places. She didn't care, and insisted that she keep it the way it was.

Aside from the facts that we were running out of time to get to the bus and that she was so very determined, I thought, who am I to put down her sense of style and creativity, or to discourage her independence and confidence in herself. I allowed her to go to school that way, as much as it pained me. At the end of the day, she didn't mention any teasing, but, she also came home from school devoid of ponytails or barrettes.

No comments: