Friday, August 10, 2007

Inquiring minds want to know...

Last night, the kids were sitting at the island eating dinner. Emma sat staring at her food then turned to me with a quizzical look and asked, "Mommy, how does food turn into poop?"

My reply went something like this. "Well, first when you chew your food, your teeth are working to begin the process of breaking down the food into smaller pieces, then your saliva breaks it down even more, so you can swallow it. Then the broken down food travels through your body, starting with your esophagus, then through other parts of your body, like your stomach and your small and large intestines, which are like long tubes going through your body. These parts help break down the food even more so it can travel through your body, until it changes into poop."

Then, Emma looked at me in a state of confusion and asked, "So, how does food change into poop?"

My response to this, "It's like magic."

Satisfied with this, Emma went back to her eating her dinner.

Next, Gavin piped in and added, "I know where the poop comes out." He continues to say, "It comes out your buh... I mean bottom."

No comments: